Monday, February 15, 2010

BEYOND THE CLOAK

"Upon a Day Beauty and Ugliness met on the shore of a sea. And they said to one another, “Let us bathe in the sea.” Then they disrobed and swam in the waters. And after at while Ugliness came back to shore and garmented himself with the garments of Beauty and walked his way. And Beauty too came out of the sea, and found not her raiment, and she was too shy to be naked, therefore she dressed herself with the raiment of Ugliness. And Beauty walked her way. And to this very day men and women mistake the one for the other. Yet some there are who have beheld the face of Beauty, and they know her notwithstanding her garments. And some there be who know the face of Ugliness, and the cloth conceals him not from their eyes." Kahlil Gibran - Garments As with Beauty and Ugliness, so it is with Love and Lust. How often I confuse the one for the other. Falling for the sweet whisper of naughty delights, the dizzying excitement, the ‘high’ of emotion surging in my breast as once more, Lust approaches me with his delicious yet “reasonable” proposition, his promise of a ride on the fast last lane and pleasure unending – without pain, consequence or responsibility. Meanwhile, Love sits watching me quietly, smiling a sad smile for he knows that I shall be in tears shortly, vowing never to love again, never to trust, never to invest my heart or my emotion in another. Love waits , watching, hoping that I look beyond the superficial pazzaz of Lust, beyond the simple cloak of Love and see their souls. For then there will be no doubt in my mind, with whom I choose to go, and though the other may tempt me with fast cars, easy money and good living, my heart will be with Love. (c) Renee Ngamau

No comments: