Wednesday, March 25, 2009

THE OTHER WOMAN

The restaurant was lovely, the ambience faultless. Lights were turned down and you got the sense that yours was the only table in the room. She looked across at him and thanked whatever gods may be for bringing him into her life. She’d had such a harrowing divorce that it was still difficult for her to believe that people like him exist. Still, she braced herself for the news she knew was coming. She’d known it was coming for some time. In fact, she’d encouraged it. She’d even prayed it would come to this. That at some point he would make the decision. Heaven knows though, she had dreaded this day. Still, like the condemned prisoner on her last hour, she felt some relief. “Baby, I have something I want to say to you and it isn’t going to be easy.” She smiled, looking at the myriad expressions on his boyishly handsome face. He paused. She stayed silent and smiled encouragingly. “Baby, I’m leaving.” There. It was done. Just like that. She wasn’t quite sure if anything had happened yet. In her mind, a crazy thought said, “maybe this is how a chicken feels just after it’s head has been cut off. Like something has changed but it isn’t sure what.” He reached across the table and touched her hand, tenderly if a little tentatively. “Are you okay?” She smiled again. Not a word. Just a reassuring smile of the just departed, as if to say to the bereaved, “Do not mourn me, I am okay now.” He went on. “You know I love you and you know that you’ve made me so happy during the time we have been together. It’s just, I made a mistake. She has my kids. I’ve got to do right by them. I’ve got to make it work, for their sakes, if for nothing else. Can you understand?” Again, silence. Another smile. This time just a little lopsided. “I’ll always take care of you and you’ll always hold a special place in my heart.” he went on. “It’s just…. I’ve got to go.” “But we’re supposed to be having dinner tomorrow”, she thought. “I’m cooking pork chops with bloody mary sauce.” Still though, not a word. Not a single peep of emotion. Just a smile. “You understand, don’t you?” he pleaded. “Please say you do. It’ll cut me up if you don’t say something.” She looked at him and smiled, thinking of what to say. She thought about what to do. Finally, the words came to her, and in the moment, she genuinely felt that way. “I’m happy for you, for both of you.” “I hope it works out, kiddo and that you are truly happy. I really do… and of course we‘re cool. It‘s the right thing to do, isn‘t it?” That was when he said the most cruel thing ever. “You know I love you, don’t you?“ She pushed her chair back with a sudden jerk. Then, before her heart burst into a million red shards, she leaned across the table, kissed him on the cheek, and walked out. And just like that, she lost her man, to another woman - his wife.

No comments: