Wednesday, August 17, 2005

I SAY WHAT I LIKE

A friend was taking me to the airport the other day so I could catch the plane to a speakers' training workshop. She had just dropped me off when her phone rang. She could not understand what the person on the other line was saying and passed on the phone to me. I took the phone and said,"Hi, this is Renee. With whom am I speaking?" A male voice responded, "Th...th...th...this is... Ph...ph... Ph... Phil". "Hi Phil, what can I do for you today?" What happened then was the most amazing thing. We had a 5 minute conversation and not a stuttering word was exchanged. His name turned out to be Bill and he wanted to know about the workshop I was going to. We spoke for a while then I told him I need to go catch my plane but looked forward to meeting him at the training. Bill said to me, " I don't know if I can come. I don't have the money." And I replied, "If this is truly your dream, then you cannot afford not to come. Get a breakthrough, Phil(sic)." I took my plane not knowing whether he would come. One day later at the workshop, a tall good looking man walked up to me and said,"Hi Renee, I'm Bill. We spoke on the phone when you were at the airport." "I'm so glad you came." I said smiling. "What made you come?" "Well, you said, 'get a breakthrough, Bill' and I realized I could not afford not to come. Especially as someone who had never met me was so committed to my dream coming true." Bill went on to get a standing ovation for a one-minute speech that he delivered during the weekend. Person after person stood up to say,"If Bill can get up to talk, stutter and all, so can I." The most beautiful part for me was when Bill said to me, "I don't care if I never get rid of my stutter, I am going to be a motivational speaker." All on yet another ordinary day. THOUGHT FOR THE DAY Some things in life, you can't afford not to do.

No comments: