Saturday, February 09, 2008

I'm sitting in front of my computer hooked up onto a slightly unclear skype connection talking with a fellow coach. She's a great gal and very intuitive and we are cross-coaching. I coach her on an issue she'd like clarity on then she coaches me. [Yes, great coaches need coaches... in fact, that is probably one on of the constituent elements of being a great coach - being able to take it]. Anyway, my turn to be coached. I have a project. To write a series of articles. I love writing but I'm experiencing a major block around it. So she dives right in. What's the block? What's it about? All of that good stuff. Turns out, the block is really a fear of success. "WHAT!?" My brain is screaming. "How dare you be afraid to be successful. Success is the Plan with a capital 'p'." Still, ignoring my brain, I plough on with the coaching. The fear of success goes a little like this. If I write these articles, and they lead to lots of work [as I hope they will], I may have to travel. If I do have to travel, I'll have to leave my family behind, specifically my little boy. If I do leave him behind, I won't be a good mother. If I am not a good mother, I will have failed in the most important role I have. "Says who?", asks my coach. "Says my mother", I answer without thinking.Then I stop.What did I just say?Says my mother?! Says my mother??? What the @^**~##!! In other words, I am not doing what I'd love to or achieving what I wish to because I don't want to go against what I percieve to be my mother's values? Values which (a) I don't necessarily ascribe to and (b) she would in all probability deny having espoused as a limiting belief. Let's not even get into the fact that success is not inversely proportional to good relationships or great parenting. Or even the presumption that I have to leave my boy behind...So if I don't believe in this value, and my mother [God bless her dear soul] probably doesn't mean it as a limiting belief, then who am I serving by holding myself back? Whose beliefs am I ascribing to? Whose life is this anyway? I get it. It's my life. It's always been. And I can do what I damn well please with it. That's the whole point about the gift of life. It's been gifted to me. No need to gift it off to someone or something else. They've got their gift to live out. I really get it. And so, here come the articles. Bring on the work, the travel, the success. It's my life. And I intend to live it fully! THOUGHT FOR THE DAY Man cannot discover new oceans until he has the courage to lose sight of the shore. Anon

No comments: